Yesterday I relocated my backyard feeding pole and employed some tips from other bird photographers – in essence I moved the feeder to a more photographic location and I added some ‘fake’ branches so that photographs have a more natural/wild feel to them. I added the branches by drilling out part of the feeding pole and inserting some small, dead branches that I found. The aim is that pictures will now have birds on branches, rather than on the plastic feeder. The location of the pole was changed so that I have a better bokeh in the morning and evening sun, previously the background was a breezeblock wall, now the morning background is a lime tree and the afternoon background is a fan palm. This morning (and yesterday eveing) I set up the hide and waited to see what would happen. The first thing I noticed was that most birds continued to visit the area that the pole was originally in, probably to feed on the seed that was on the ground. When the house finches did catch on to the new location they made use of the branches – allowing me to get the pictures below.
One lesson I did learn – I do not need the 1.4x teleconverter when working at this distance, in fact it may be better to add an extension tube to the 300mm f4 in order to reduce the minimum focus point.